Apply to Receive Raspberry Pis for your Dojo!
To celebrate Europe Code Week we are happy to announce that through an existing CSR program, the VM Ware Foundation has committed to donating a total of 960 Raspberry Pis to CoderDojo to be distributed to active Dojos around the world!
We are very excited to be able to deliver the results of this great partnership to the CoderDojo community. The CoderDojo community has been requesting hardware partnerships since last years annual survey and we are thrilled to be able to share this great opportunity with them!
As well as receiving Raspberry Pis for your Dojo each Pi will come with accessories for building projects including:
- A power adaptor
- An 8GB SD card
- 300 OHM resistors
- Jumper Wires
- LED lights (1 red, 1 green and 1 blue)
On top of this we are developing brand new CoderDojo Sushi for Raspberry Pi to help you set up and get working on awesome projects!
What is a Raspberry Pi?
The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse. It is a capable little device that enables people of all ages to explore how computers work and to learn how to program in languages like Scratch and Python. It’s capable of doing everything you’d expect a desktop computer to do, from browsing the internet and playing high-definition video, to making spreadsheets, word-processing, and playing games.
What’s more, the Raspberry Pi has the ability to interact with the outside world, and has been used in a wide array of digital maker projects, from music machines and parent detectors to weather stations and tweeting birdhouses with infra-red cameras.
To be eligible Dojos must be registered on the new CoderDojo Community platform ‘Zen’ and using it’s new ticketing system! The CoderDojo foundation will be distributing the Pis to Dojos in two batches of 480, with the second batch shipping to Dojos that have applied from Nov 2015 – Jan 2016.
Application is now open and the deadline to be included in the first batch is the 12th of November 2015 at 12 midnight (GMT). It is important to remember that your Dojo must be using the Community Platform in order to apply. You can see how to register on the Platform here.
Criteria for Application
- All CoderDojos who apply have to be verified and registered on Zen, the CoderDojo Community Platform.
- All CoderDojos who apply must be using the new ticketing system feature on Zen. This is to ensure that a Dojo is active, ensuring that the Pis that go to Dojos, will be used.*
- This opportunity is open to all Dojos meeting the criteria above (verified, registered on Zen & using the ticketing system*).
- The Pis will be shipped in batches of 5, 10 or 15 depending on the size of the Dojo that is applying.
- The first round application will close on 12th November 2015. Pis will then be shipped throughout November, December and January 2016. After this time application will be opened again for the second round (date TBC).
- The second round of applications will begin in January 2016 (date to be announced). Those that have already received Pis in the first round will NOT be eligible to enter the second round.
We have lots of helpful videos that can talk you through setting up and editing your CoderDojos profile on Zen so if you would like to apply for the Raspberry Pis please make sure that you meet the criteria! Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions about Zen or this Raspberry Pi opportunity.