Top 5 Programming Languages for Beginners

For any beginners who have just started to learn how to code or for anyone who would like to start it can be a little bit daunting! There are many different programming languages to choose from and sometimes it can be difficult to choose which one to start with or which one would suit you.

If you can find a coding club here or see what CoderDojo projects we provide to freely learn programming languages here.

Javascript

JavaScript
JavaScript is another language which is in high demand at the moment, but it is not to be confused with Java! Java is a programming language while JavaScript is a scripting language. It is relatively easy to learn but perhaps not as easy as something like Python. It runs on every single platform and is already in your browser for you to start learning which means you do not need to install it. If you want to build anything for the web then JavaScript must be on your list of programs to learn.

You can start using JavaScript straight away to start building websites and games for the web. It is one of the fundamental technologies which the web we know of today is built on. It is dynamic and is flexible to use on object-oriented programming. It derives much of its syntax from The C Language (discussed below).

Learn JavaScript here

python

Python
Python is one of the most widely-used high-level programming languages. This is mostly because it is simple, readable and you can use fewer lines of code to express a concept than you would have to with other languages. It is a scripting language which allows you to produce a lot of code in short periods of time.

It is opensource and free and there are a lot of tools and documentation available for learning Python. There are some great official tutorials which are easy to follow and there is less of an emphasis on syntax which would suit beginners. It is a good stepping stone for moving on and learning other object-oriented languages.

Learn Python here

Ruby

Ruby
Ruby is a dynamic, object-oriented scripting language that is used in the development of websites and mobile apps. It is similar to Python in that it is simple and readable. It is usually focused on web-based applications. It is the language that powers their framework, Ruby on Rails, which is behind websites such as Twitter, Groupon and GitHub.

It is easy to learn with a helpful 20 minute quick start guide on the official Ruby website. It is straightforward and easy to read with a large community behind it of programmers willing to answer questions. There is a lot of documentation available as well as great resources which will help you to grasp Ruby from the very beginning.

Learn Ruby here

java 2

Java
Java is one of the most popular programming languages in the world. Java 1.0 was released in 1995 on the principle of ‘Write Once Run Anywhere’.  It is a class-based, object-oriented language which is designed to be portable which means that you can find it on all platforms, operating systems and devices.

Java has been used for so long that there is lots of information about it on the web. This is ideal for beginners because this means that almost certainly any question you have has already been asked and answered by someone else in the Java community. It has an incredible toolset and great editors which let you know straight away if you have any errors. Java programming is a highly sought after skill and knowledge of it opens a lot of doors in terms of employment.

Learn Java here

publisher_logo

Blockly
Blockly is a free program that is a basic, visual language. It can be used by everyone, old or young. The user learns to write programs by putting blocks together to create simple functions. Each visual object is also a code object.

The aim of Blockly is to use the blocks to generate readable code which could be in JavaScript or Python etc. This means that once beginners have mastered it they can then move onto more complicated programs. It’s straight forward drag and drop function can help you to very easily build apps. You can then export what you make and apply it to actual programming languages.

It’s simple set up means that you don’t have to worry about things like syntax errors which can make deciding to learn to code a little less daunting. Blockly is definitely a useful program for anyone who is a bit intimidated by the other languages mentioned.

Learn Blockly here

Computer programming is quickly becoming a huge necessity within our lives. CoderDojo is a global community of free and open coding clubs helping kids create cool and fun things with technology. You can find a great coding club for kids or to volunteer at here, or see all our great lessons and projects to learn these languages here.

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nikos Ioannou says

It is very difficult to select a programming langauage to use. When learning it is best to try some of them in order to be able to get a personal experience. I suggest blockly for beginers.

Goodwin says

Interesting. I started learning Java first, but I was annoyed at its wordiness and moved on to C++. I was not aware Python was considered "easy" to learn, merely succinct. Good list.

VLadimir says

QBasic is a really easy programming language to learn, I've tryed it before. go to http://tedfelix.com/qbasic/ to learn QBasic. Go to https://repl.it/languages/qbasic to try it out.

Raphaelle Guinanao says

processing.js is also very easy to learn on Khan Academy. This is a pretty good list.

Anonymous says

I think that C# is the best

Daniel says

Basic is a language created for programming learning.

Man says

I agree with Daniel Basic is the easiest to learn and most valuable to learn other programming languages

Python says

>>>print "(Python its the easiest progrmming language)";

Owen Orsini says

HTML 5 is ridiculously easy compared to almost any other language, the only problem us that it's pretty limited in use (really only used to create websites) but I would recommend it as a starting language.

Abdulhalim says

Thank you very much , it is useful article

Mads Boyd-Madsen says

JavaScript is super powerful. But good for beginners? Fat chance! You guys clearly haven't taught programming.
Beginners go nuts - in my experience - because there is
- No type-checking
- No proper tooling
- No commonly accepted way to structure types
- No classes
- No commonly accepted way to modularise the code
- An obscure prototyping model
- I wild and wonderful jungle of plugins and frameworks.

JavaScript is great for experienced programmers. Not for beginners.

isul says

is javascript really easy programming?

Andrew Corvec says

I also believe that Python is extremely easy to learn. I am already decent at it. I needed no classes, just a tutorial level knowledge of Java and a logical mind, and I was ready to program a BEDMAS Calculator in 1 night. I still need to work around a few errors, but they are probably only TypeErrors.

adnan says

i want to create a game so which programming language should i learn which will be the easiest language for beginners.

Mandy says

What about c++ or c ???

Niteesh says

I'm pretty sure HTML is the easiest

isul says

may be the easiest one is blocky

John Brett says

I would honestly say that none of these are too easy to learn, i would atleast put in HTML5, and or php. Im 13 and allready have coded an indie game called Right Or Wrong... and its made with html5. please add it.

toluwase says

honestly Annabel Cleary you have write a very good post its inspires me

i also got a very useful articles relating to this on my new blog thou it was my second post on the blog but you'll e njoy it

Cynthia W says

I know this is going to be a shot in the dark, because article is 2 yrs old but I hope someone with more knowledge then me (which is basically none) can point me in the right direction. I'm on disability and have a LOT of time. Im a self starter and eventually my goal is to be able to design websites or do graphic designs. My questions are... Is there any benefit from learning code with those career destination? Is there specific languages that's necessary for what I'm interested in? Where would you start with All this in mind? I sincerely appreciate your help and time!

Jolene Elizabeth says

I really don't know about coding languages but I get to know more when I grow up!Well,also thank you for giving me this website on coding languages!It really helps me a lot!!!

Jolene Elizabeth says

Pythagoras says

i learn qbasic in less than a week. it's the more easier to learn than any other language .

Carter says

I suggest scratch for beginners. it is supa easy

John Foggitt says

What about Scratch and (I think) Greenleaf? I find BBC Basic for Windows to be the easiest language I've ever used and a slightly limited version is available free, or for the full version it costs the princely sum of £29.99. The help documentation is excellent and so is the support. If you haven't tried it, I strongly recommend it. I have no reason to promote this other than my personal enthusiasm for a brilliant programming language.

Shalmali Bapat says

Great article !! and yes IT world is itself quite dynamic. With new and upcoming changes in computer programming languages, frameworks and technologies language trends are ever changing.
So we need to keep our self updated. Thank you for this informative post.

Francis Naison says

I am a begginer learner in programing languages