9th August 2018
What we discussed on the July Open Community Call
Throughout the year the CoderDojo Foundation hold regular online calls which are open to all those involved in CoderDojo Globally.
On our July call we had two community members, Mishari and Junya, based in Thailand and Japan share their experiences starting up Dojos and developing a local support network. Maimuna, the CoderDojo Foundation’s software development intern also shared what she’s been working on to improve the booking process
You can jump to specific sections you wish to listen to via the links provided below or listen to the entire call.
Topic Who Welcome & updates!
Q&A [LISTEN TO THIS SECTION] Ross
CoderDojo Foundation A new, easier booking process [LISTEN TO THIS SECTION] Maimuna Ahmed- CoderDojo Foundation Our CoderDojo Community in Thailand [LISTEN TO THIS SECTION] Mishari Muqbil How I started the first Dojo in Japan [LISTEN TO THIS SECTION] Junya Ishihara Community Questions and Answers [LISTEN TO THIS SECTION] All those on the call
Topics discussed at the end of the call.
- The diversity of logos used by Dojos in Japan (see the bottom of the CoderDojo Japan website)
- Mishari spoke about doing a Mapathon using resources (here and here)
- Spoke about volunteerism in Asia.
- Talk about Dojos using their own logos.
- Mishari spoke about a Python interpreter that can be used with Turtle.
- Spoke about how to start a Dojo who doesn’t have a large amount of technical experience and using the Champions Handbook.
- DecaDojo was discussed as an alternative to a MegaDojo. Encouraging a large Dojo of multiple (up to ten Dojos locally to come together and run a Dojo together).
Our next call will be hosted on 25 September. See this and other events we have schedule on our community events calendar.