How Badges benefit your child
Digital badges are becoming a popular way to acknowledge digital skills achieved by attendees at Dojos. They are almost like a Scout’s badge which are awarded once someone reaches a certain level or learns a particular skill except they are digital!
How are CoderDojo Badges useful?
CoderDojo digital badges allow youths to:
- verify their programming skills
- highlight event participation
- showcase their skills for employment or education
They are a great method of validating digital and other skills which aren’t always very visible.
How you can Join your Dojo to get Badges
How can I get Badges for my child?
- If your youth is under 13 you will need to Join your Dojo on our website, and add your children to your account (see video above)
- If your youth is over 13 and has their own email address they can join their Dojo and register their own account on our site.
- Registered youths are automatically awarded attendance badges when they book a ticket and are checked in to a Dojo event on the Community Platform
- Dojo Champions and those with Dojo Admin rights can also award badges for programming skills as well as soft skills and event participation.
See recent Badges your Children were awarded!
In the dropdown beside your name on the top right, you can select the new “My Children” tab to view all your children’s recently awarded badges and the Dojos they are a member of.
If your Dojo Champion has not yet started to award digital badges, why not ask them about it at your next Dojo?
Can Adults Earn Badges?
Yes! Adults can also be awarded badges for:
- Completing our E-learning modules
- Mentoring at a Dojo
- Becoming a Dojo Champion
You can see all the Official CoderDojo badges available on the CoderDojo Platform here. These have clear instructions so that mentors and parents can help CoderDojo Ninjas acquire badges once they have completed a specific task.