New community video from CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire!
The Dun Laoghaire Dojo takes place at IADT every Wednesday. You can see what it’s like at one of there sessions here
We asked Sandra Maguire, the Champion of CoderDojo Dun Laoghaire about Mentoring.
What’s you favourite thing about being a CoderDojo Mentor?
There’s a lot more than one; here are 10 of them, in no particular order:
– Helping to create a positive future for the kids
– Hearing the kids laugh as they come up with ideas
– Being able to welcome the kids who would otherwise be on their own instead of in a place where they can learn as a valued member of the CoderDojo community
– Watching the change in a child’s expression when they “get” something
– Watching a primary school kid stand up and present to a room of 80 people
– Having kids ask me can they show off their project to everyone in the room
– Having kids ask can they mentor – and sometimes needing to remind them they can also spend some time doing their own thing
– Watching the pride in other mentors’ eyes as they see a kid they’ve worked with present their project
– Watching how other mentors work with the kids, the effects of different approaches
– Hearing the parents tell me CoderDojo is their son or daughter’s favourite part of the week