Cork – CIT Blackrock Castle Observatory
Time: Every Sunday between 10 and 1pm
Place: CIT Blackrock Castle Observatory, Blackrock, Cork.
Booking: Due to space restrictions (22 kids) you must register each week. Registration opens every Sunday evening at 7pm for the following Sunday’s class here
What you need to bring:
- The Castle Café restaurant is located on the Castle grounds but you’re more than welcome to bring a packed lunch also.
- If you have one, a laptop. If not, let us know and we can have a machine for you to use.
- A parent! (Very important). If you are 12 or under, your parent must stay with you during the session.
Who can attend:
- We require a parent or guardian to accompany 12s and under partially to keep an eye on their equipment, partially to keep an eye on their charges and partially to learn along with them. Parents and students can eventually become mentors (heck, the kids have come up with far more elegant solutions for some problems).
- Very young kids may not get much out of it, but we regularly have 8 year olds. They would need to be able to handle medium strength English words and some mathematics to get much out of it. It’s thought programming should be done in schools, or at least programmatic thinking, just after long division as it’s the first abstract algorithm most kids encounter. We do often have younger siblings of kids in the dojo who watch on or play on other computer devices, in preparation for future coding genius.
The venue and utilities are provided to us at no charge and mentors donate their time so that we can provide this opportunity for kids at no charge.
Topics we cover at the moment include:
- Other topics will be presented depending on what mentors are around on the day. If there is anything in particular that you or the kids would like to cover, let us know.
Please make sure you’ve read the information above before emailing, as we think we’ve covered most topics that are likely to come up.